Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Random Ramblings on Writing (and Editing)

Tag 'em and bag 'em...

1. Link to the person who tagged you.

Gladly placing blame where it belongs since 1968, when I said to my grandmother, "It's all your fault! You saw me wiggle!" In this case, let's blame Dani Greer (Twitterer Twit Extraordinaire) over at The Blood-Red Pen.

2. Post the rules on the blog.

Rules? We don't need no steenkin' rules... real writers make 'em up as they go along, right? Or so some have told me when I tried to edit or critique their work!

3. Write six random (writing/editing) things about yourself.

Oooh, déjà vu. Six things. Wimps... try writing "100 GOOD Things About Me" some time. In fact... consider yourselves tagged for that one, too. Okay, here goes:

- I am on a mission to stop the Serial Comma Killer. Serial commas serve a legitimate purpose; they are not just window dressing.

- Are spelling, punctuation, and grammar really all that important? Isn't it the ideas that truly matter? Won't a publisher hire an editor to take care of all that other stuff? Would you buy a dresser from a carpenter who didn't know a hammer from a saw? I have been known to correct commercial signs and menus with a Sharpie marker.

- I do judge people by their ability to write, assuming I think they have the native intelligence to do so with clarity and some attention to the mechanics of writing. I am willing to overlook about three typos and an almost unlimited number of fragments and run-on sentences in chat or late night emails, though. People who live in glass houses shouldn't sing high notes. (That said, txt me l8tr @ ur peril.)

- Want to drive me absolutely batty? Say "noo-kyu-lar." Then run. You feel lucky, punk? The word "monetize" needs to die; "aftermath" is overused; and WTF does "talk to the issues" mean?

- I have a pen fetish, my friend Jace is an enabler, and there is no 12-Step program for office-supply addicts.

4. Tag sixish people at the end of your post.

Guess we'll see if "sixish people" read my blog. Consider yourselves tagged. All of you. Yes, you there, lurking. I see you on my stat counter.

5. Let each person know he or she has been tagged.

I'll name six "sixish people" (just to give 'em the warm fuzzies and encourage folks to follow them) but the rest of you are "sixish" for the day, and I'm all about inclusion - so don't think if your name's not on here, you're off the hook! Leave your links in the comments so we can all come over and gawk. You can follow these people on http://www.twitter.com/

@Paize_Fiddler
@chrisredding
@unwriter
@katrinalwampler
@JoyceAnthony
@JeanHenryMead

6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.

Yo, Dani...

3 comments:

  1. Duck!! The Grammar Police are hiding here!!! :-) You know, Holly--this is my third time tagged--it just may end up being a hundred things before I'm done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6 more things. I don't have that many more fingers.

    Let you know when it's up on www.katrinawampler.wordpress.com (in the aftermath)

    hahahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the discussion!