Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Buggs, Gremlins, and Trockle!

Day 6 with the bodybugg™

Well on my way to forming good habits, this is the fourth day in a row that I have gone to the gym and burned off at least 330 calories during lunch or after work. Tonight, I spoke with one of the membership counselors and told him - now that I realize Apex and bodybugg are part of 24 Hour Fitness - that the user interface is clunky, unattractive, and can't hold a candle to Sparkpeople when it comes to setting up a fitness program, tracking exercise, or tracking food and nutrition intake. I pointed out a couple of strange "features" (surely not bugs on the bugg!?). For $99/year, I want something more. I wouldn't mind paying a monthly fee if the device itself were free, or if there was a free version of the software - preferably something that would run locally, on my PC - that did nothing more than download the data from the bodybugg. That's all I want it for, after all.

Disturbing thought: "I see you're wearing the bodybugg. How do you like it?"

"It's great!"

"It's like having your own personal trainer, 24/7. We can access your logs from here, see how you're doing, suggest improvements to your program..."

"24/7, huh? Oh my..."

I understand, now, why they say "Don't sleep in it." @#$%!

"So you can't see me, no, not at all.
In another dimension, with
voyeuristic intention,
Well secluded, I see all."

Time Warp lyrics (Rocky Horror Picture Show)

Sparkpeople.com Bodybugg Team October Challenge:

1. N/A
2. N/A (Started Oct. 3 @ ~2:00 PM)
3. Burned: 2300 Consumed: 1675 Deficit:  625 Steps:  4614
4. Burned: 2362 Consumed: ???? Deficit:  ??? Steps:  4207
5. Burned: 3059 Consumed: 2100 Deficit:  959 Steps: 11717
6. Burned: 2701 Consumed: 3406 Deficit: -705 Steps:  8524
7. Burned: 2932 Consumed: 1278 Deficit: 1654 Steps:  8933

I've signed up for Boot Camp on Saturday at 8:00 AM. I told the trainer that I have a fear of medicine balls, ever since my daughter threw an eight-pounder on my chest while playing "personal trainer" to me years ago. Eight pounds is a small bowling ball, for crying out loud. The trainer promised to go easy on me.

Trockle's Big Adventure

Trockle, Kimberly, and Cameron were abducted by Internet gremlins earlier today, interrupting Cameron's insightful interview with Trockle's mom, but with a little help from Stephen - whose mother decided she couldn't ground him for skipping school to protect his friends from those nasty, naughty creatures - they escaped! Let this be a reminder to the kids, though: Always go trick-or-treating with a parent or a buddy, never alone.

Trockle's Trick-or-Treat Tour continues tomorrow with Jen (Pantheistic Mom) @ My Terrene Reality. Jen is one of Stephen's aunties (and of course, an adopted auntie to Trockle). She has been one of my best friends for over a decade, and we have yet to meet face-to-face!

October 10:
Elysabeth Eldering @ the Junior Geography Detective Squad
http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com/

October 11:
Ron Berry @ The Surreal Writer
http://unwriter1.wordpress.com/

October 12:
Lynne Thompson @ La Vida Es Un Sueno (another one of Stephen's and Trockle's "aunties")
http://suenogrande.blogspot.com/

October 13:
Wrap-up by Holly Jahangiri and Jordan M. Vinyard
http://blog.jahangiri.us

8 comments:

  1. Great job! Keep on movin' on!

    My HR learning is a bit rusty, but I believe it takes either 15 or 30 days to develop a habit. If you can keep the workout going that long, you'll miss doing it if you stop.

    You may have mentioned it, but do you have a specific goal, or are you going to see just how much weight you can lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, good point, Mr. Bill! I've always heard that it was 21 days, but I think that's just an average. I find that it takes about that to develop a good habit, and about three to ditch one.

    I do have a specific goal: I want to lose 50-60 lbs. (Right now, I'm at 210 lbs., a fact that astounds people because I'm also 5'11". According to the CDC charts, I should be between 138 lbs. and 178 lbs., so 150-160 lbs. is a reasonable goal. Any lower than that and I start to look emaciated, no matter what the CDC thinks is "healthy.")

    More important than weight, though, is dress size, energy level, endurance, and overall well-being. If I could be 200 lbs. and still fit in a size 10, hey - not a problem!

    Two years ago, I got down to 169 lbs., size 10, then took my eye off the ball, so to speak, while I quit smoking. I told myself that one or two pounds here and there didn't matter, but they do add up. My worst fear came true: I gained it all back, plus a couple of pounds. Vigilance will be my motto this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad Stephen didn't get in trouble. He was such a big help in our fight yesterday. I'm not sure we would have won if not for him. It took us all to overpower them and be victorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on going to the gym for four straight days! That is a great accomplishment (believe me I know - lol). I belong to a local gym so I have no idea about that program you use but to be attached to it 24/7 sounds a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can that be right? We've been such good friends for ... over a decade???!!!!

    Bizarre, isn't it, how you blink and a decade has gone by?

    Awwww. That was a nice post. Can I say I really had fun hosting a tour stop for Stephen and Trockle? What a great book....

    Auntie Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly, I want to be able to build a good habit to help me lose weight (wonders if sewing mouth together would do it, I can communicate on the computer without opening my mouth?)

    Congratulations on working toward your goal, and when I saw you, you certainly did not look overweight. You hide it well.

    Trockle is continuing to thrill Aiden, my grandson. Now when the book is read to him, and Trockle talks about Stephen having two big eyes, Aiden puts his fingers into circles and holds the circles over his eyes.

    Trockle is gathering quite a following all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Viv! I can just picture Aiden doing that - I'm so happy he's enjoying the book and starting to act out the story himself. That's exciting. Shoot, Katie (aged 20, for those who don't know) insisted on reading Trockle AND A Puppy, Not a Guppy! aloud to me last night before I could go to bed. She reads it better than I do - had me in stitches, acting out all the characters - I'm hauling her with me to school visits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *laugh* Having your own acting troupe with you would certainly entertain the children and take pressure off of you. However, I've never notice that you have problems interacting with people (even if the butterflies are waging war inside you, you don't show it).

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the discussion!