Sunday, October 5, 2008

Tag! You're It! and Other Childish--er, Childhood Games

Here are the rules: One person is "It" - that'd be me. The rest of y'all - RUN!! If I tag you (as in, reach out through the monitor and grab you by the arm, or visit your blog and say "You're IT!" or somehow suck you in and get you to read this post), you're IT! YOU, in turn, must answer the questions below, then go tag as many people as you can. You can repost these rules, or point to this blog entry for explanations. If you're feeling super-creative this morning, you can even post your answer in video form, on YouTube! Or in audio form! Phone it in to Utterli.com! Or...oh, just play, okay? Then come back here and post a link to your reply. That's important - post a link here so we can all see what you did when it was your turn to be "It." I mean, you could just take your marbles and go home, like the kid who says, "This is stupid. I don't wanna BE 'It' again. I'm going home. What a bunch o' losers." But then good luck finding anyone to go trick-or-treating with at the end of the month.

1) What were your favorite games to play when you were a kid? Do you remember the rules? Share them here (bored kids grounded from video games will thank you):

Hide-and-Seek. I count to 100 as fast as I possibly can while you hide. If I find you before Mom yells "Dinnertime!" or I give up or get bored with the game and yell "Ollie Ollie Oxen Free!" then you count while I hide. If I can't find you, then you just hide until tomorrow, and maybe I'll try again. Oh, and if you're under age five and put your hands over your eyes, like this, I can't see you. Good hiding place. Under the bed is good, too. There are no monsters under the bed.

2) Did you go trick-or-treating when you were a kid? What was your favorite costume ever?

Yes! One year I wore a traditional costume from the Canary Islands that my grandparents had brought back from a trip. Another year, I dressed up as a Spanish lady all covered in lace, and wore a shawl made of real Spanish lace - I felt very elegant.

3) How old is "too old" to go trick-or-treating?

When you're taller than the average homeowner and might appear threatening, rather than merely scary. At that point, you drag your child, grandchild, baby brother, niece, nephew, or neighbor kids with you and take 10% of their candy haul as "payment for bodyguard services." Or you get a job at one of the local "haunted houses." Or you do the reverse trick-or-treat thing, where you open the door to the little monsters in the neighborhood and yell, "Boo!" before handing out treats. You're never too old to have fun, though!

4) Do you remember any silly or gross songs or rhymes from your childhood (like, "Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts")? Share them with us!

"Heigh ho, heigh ho, my brother bit my toe
That dirty rat! I bit him back!
Heigh ho, heigh ho, heigh ho, heigh ho!

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to school we go
The water tastes like iodine, the teacher looks like Frankenstein
Heigh ho, heigh ho, heigh ho, heigh ho!

5) What is your favorite Halloween memory?

I already shared mine here. A close second would involve me on the back porch, trying to conduct a "séance" over a Jack-o-Lantern, while my dad and grandfather ran around in the back yard, covered in sheets (one of which, as I recall, was floral) trying to scare me into thinking I really had summoned ghosts!

6) What goodies do you hope to find in your treat bag this Halloween?

My kids didn't like chocolate when they were little. I felt like Fagin, going through their treat bags, cajoling them into giving it up to me. This year? I hope to find glow-in-the-dark toys, chocolate, and lollipops. My daughter (who is now twenty, stands 6'3", and still loves Halloween) says it's "Totally unfair how the cute little kids just rake it in." The neighbors on our street have known her since she was in 5th grade, so they take pity on her and throw a few treats in her bag.

 

Okay, YOUR TURN!! You're IT!


Joyce Anthony @ Books and Authors
http://joyceanthony.tripod.com/blog/

Janet @ Janet’s Book Nook
http://www.sheneedstoknow.com/booknook

Kimberly @ All About Kimberly
http://www.allaboutkimberly.com

Jen (Pantheistic Mom) @ My Terrene Reality
http://terrenereality.blogspot.com

Elysabeth Eldering @ the Junior Geography Detective Squad
http://jgdsseries.blogspot.com/

Ron Berry @ The Unwriter
http://unwriter1.wordpress.com/

Lynne Thompson @ La Vida Es Un Sueno
http://suenogrande.blogspot.com/

 

And YOU - yes, YOU - if you're reading this, consider yourself TAGGED!

14 comments:

  1. let me wake up then I'll play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really awake either but I'm havig trouble reading Joyce's posting. I click on her link and then part of it comes up but then the ads or banners take over and I can only scroll part of the way down. No idea why or what is going on over there. I'd like to read and comment - but can't get there - wahhhh :((

    As far as playing tag, not sure I have memories of my favorite game or other things - lol - I'll give it try though on my regular blog - http://elysabethsstories.blogspot.com - see you in the postings - E :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh - you mean the Halloween goblins got Joyce's blog?? Yikes! She mentioned she and others were having trouble, but I'm seeing it just fine. How odd? I wonder if it's a browser-specific issue? Or maybe just a particular set of ads gone wild - it happens, sometimes, and if you're on a host that doesn't allow you to customize, you can get stuck. Did you try to reload? Sometimes that will cause a different ad rotation and get you unstuck, if it's ads that are doing it.

    It's a shame, though - I wondered why there were no comments or questions for the Trockles yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine's posted:
    http://www.allaboutkimberly.com/tag-youre-it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly, I'll try to get around to this--my poor blog is booked solid through the first week of November--maybe I'll start a new blog just for these fun things!!

    I apologize for the blog problem--I have no clue what is going on--Holly, what browser do you use? I have IE 7.0 and am having the problem.

    Hmm...let me tweet and see if we can track this down!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, "poor blog." Booked solid, eh? Where DO you find the energy! LOL!!

    I have XP and Firefox. Tell me exactly what's going on. I saw one cereal ad that's one of those new obnoxious roll over things - they grow and cover part of your content until you explicitly close them (there's a close link at the top, in tiny print). Just don't roll over it AGAIN...

    I'm used to those on other sites, but is that all it is?

    I'd try IE, but if it's a spyware problem I don't wanna catch it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use IE - I saw part of the posting when I first went over there but it was covered on the left side by the boxes there and then when I tried to scroll I got several ads/banners that took over and my scrolling went no where - not sure but I'll try it later and my tag is up - E :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaargh! You got me - that's cheating! LOL

    Marvin Blogs at Free Spirit: http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/
    Eye Twitter 2 - http://twitter.com/Paize_Fiddler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nobody ever accused me of doggedly following silly rules!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you get Marvin? This was a nice tag, fun. I actually used it to get people to visit the Trockle tour (or hope they will). - see you in the postings - E :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just reached out as Marvin ran by on Twitter and yelled "Tag! You're IT!"

    I haven't seen Marvin post here that he posted ANSWERS yet, though...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a fun game! I was tagged by Kimberly (All about Kimberly) and am adding mine later today.

    I loved some of your answers. The 10% candy fee for bodyguard services was nice.

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the discussion!