Saturday, January 10, 2009

Who's this 'Pete'?

My husband and son are convinced I'm having an affair with some guy named Pete, because for the last week or so, I've been wandering around in a daze, randomly muttering or loudly exclaiming, "Oh, for the love of Pete!" I'm not unfaithful; I'm just trying to eliminate profanity from my repertoire.

The latest random outburst was provoked by a response to one of my comments on the CPSIA - the sort of response that goes, "Oh, it can't be THAT bad. You'll see. Someone else will take care of the problem before it affects US."

When I suggested that the poster actually read the law in question - you know, to see what the words say (since we're both writers here, one assumes words matter), I got: "I don't need any 'factual basis' to form an opinion."

Oh, for the love of Pete!

My dad used to joke around and say, "My mind's made up, don't confuse me with facts!" I didn't realize people really thought like that until a couple of years ago, when I asked, on Microsoft QnA, which was more important: fact or opinion?

The majority seemed to favor opinions, even those formed in a vacuum.

Watching Leno reruns last night, I caught him asking some woman on the street who she voted for in the election. "McCain."

He showed her a photograph. "Who's this?"

"Cheney?"

"No."

"I don't know, then."

"John McCain."

Oh, for the love of Pete!

5 comments:

  1. I tend to do a lot of things for Pete too. "For Pete's sake..."
    (Pete was actually who we selected as our mascot when I was on a rec-league volleyball team in college. We wanted to win for his sake.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is John McCain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, he's certainly no John Galt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw that comment, Holly. I was a little surprised, but it did look like some were taking it seriously. I do want to thank you for speaking up. I don't know much about it, not nearly enough to explain it as well as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *shock* Did I read correctly, that you were hateful? *re-reads* hmmm ... don't find any sign of hatefulness there. Frustration, maybe, but not hatefulness.

    Wait! Maybe that comment was about my post.

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the discussion!