Sunday, July 11, 2010

Blogging. Why?

Right now, I don't even know.

For the second time in a month, I've killed my site. Arguably, this one's about 90% my fault. But the point IS arguable - I wouldn't have killed it had I not relied on my host's support article that said, essentially, "Oh, that little directory there? You don't really need that. You could blow it away, and your site would still load."

Arguably, it's IntenseDebate's fault. Or the theme developer's.

I suppose it's NOT IntenseDebate's fault, exactly; everything was working just fiiiine until I tried deactivating the plug-in. Ever try beating a Zombie with its own arm? Not a pretty sight.

Next thing I knew, I was getting a Feedburner window every time I tried entering a comment. Anyone here ever have an issue (we're talking WordPress, here) where, upon clicking Submit on the comments, a Feedburner subscription email confirmation dialog pops up??

Here's the sequence of events:

- Installed and activated KeywordLuv
- Deactivated IntenseDebate (name field's not long enough for KeywordLuv)
- Got stupid cross-link between Comments and Feedburner.

I had this cross link when I first switched Web hosts, too. Reinstalling and resyncing IntenseDebate is probably what fixed it; I'm not sure. Bottom line: I've seen it before, and it went away.

Any ideas?

For all the snobbery on the part of some WordPress users, and for all the fun one can have with WordPress, there's much to be said for the simplicity of Blogger.

5 comments:

  1. You know how I like simplicity. Your experiences reinforce my choice to stay with Blogger.

    Of course you MUST tweak and try new things, that's just you. Love you that way because it is part of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I can't help it. I like simplicity, too, but I love to try new things, and I want them to be JUST SO...

    Unfortunately, that means I blow them up now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! I hope everything are fixed now?

    Wow this theme is really cute :)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things DO appear to be fixed!! Yay!! But in my boredom, waiting for my site to come back up, I did find some of THE cutest themes for Blogger and WordPress! All FREE, too! (Hint: See the footer.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biggest problem I have with Wordpress are the updates to the core that aren't kept up fast enough by the people making plug-ins. I've had four times in one year I've had to edit themes.

    Trust me, I tell all my clients to stick with Blogspot unless it's necessary to go self hosted. Personally, I like what you've done with the theme, you pull it off well.

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the discussion!